Pre-Order for Pick-Up at the Uptown Waterloo Scoop Shop.
Try This At Home: Rice Crispy Sandwiches
Last week we made vegan & gluten-free Rice Crispy Ice Cream Sandwiches as a daily special for our March Break Munchies series. We loved them so much that we decided you should have the recipe for yourselves.
Before baking your hearts out, here are a few tips from our lead Scooperista Hannah:
- First things first, you will quickly find that vegan marshmallows like Dandies melt a little differently than traditional marshmallows. Don’t let this worry you. The melted marshmallows tend to be thicker than their traditional counterparts. Simply assure that when you dump in the cereal, you coat all of it and disperse the marshmallow evenly throughout the mixture.
- Second, if you are considering swapping out Nature’s Path Crispy Rice Cereal for the popular Kellogg's blue box Rice Krispies, you will want to reconsider. Because the vegan marshmallows are thicker when melted, you will want a stronger Crispy Rice cereal. Otherwise, you will end up with a harder and denser end product. The key to good Rice Crispy treats is the right balance of gooey-ness and air pockets. If you use a cereal that isn’t strong enough for the vegan marshmallows, you will end up breaking the cereal when you mix it in, and decreasing the amount of air in the treat.
- Third, it’s best to make thinner treats, rather than cutting them in half (sandwich style) to make the ice cream sandwich. Again, having a good amount of air in the treat is key. If you cut the rice crispy square in half to make the sandwich rather than working with 2 thinner pieces, you will squish the square and break some of the cereal with the knife. Not to mention these vegan squares are harder to cut than their traditional counterparts! So save your cutting muscles and simply make thinner squares, doubling them up for each half of the sandwich.
- Fourth, when you have your finished squares, scoop out some of your favourite Four All Ice Cream and squeeze it slightly between 2 pieces of Rice Crispy Treats! Enjoy!
This recipe will yield 12 sandwiches.
What you need:
- 50 g coconut oil
- 380 g Dandies vegan marshmallows
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 200 g Nature’s Path Crispy Rice Cereal
- Scoops of your favourite Four All Ice Cream
How to make them:
- Melt coconut oil in larger saucepan over medium heat
- Add marshmallows and melt, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Once marshmallows are completely melted, turn off heat and add salt and vanilla extract.
- Stir in Rice Crispy Cereal, making sure to coat all cereal with the melted marshmallow
- Transfer the mixture to two 9x12 greased (with coconut oil) baking pans. The treats will be thin, approximately ½ inch thick.
- Let cool.
- Cut each pan into 12 pieces, yielding 24 pieces in total.
- Slightly squish 1 scoop of Four All Ice Cream between 2 squares.
- Eat immediately!