Pre-Order for Pick-Up at the Uptown Waterloo Scoop Shop.
Try This At Home: Apple Pie Sammies
Bored of your typical ice cream sammies? Well, why don't we switch things up a bit. What better way than with mini apple pies?!
What you need:
- 1 jar of Honey Ginger or Hokey Pokey ice cream
- Store bought pie dough (containing two sheets), room temperature
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 ½ cup peeled cubed (about 2cm) apples (about 2 large apples)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
To make it vegan, use vegan butter, vegan pie dough, and our vegan Chocolate Brownie Chunk ice cream. To swap out the egg wash, make a vegan egg wash by combining 1 tbsp of maple syrup with 2 tbsp of dairy-free milk.
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until it turns into a liquid. Mix in the apples, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water and pour into the saucepan. Stir for about 30 seconds as the mixture thickens, then take off of the heat. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Sprinkle some flour over your cutting board, and roll out the pie dough so that it does not have any creases in it.
- Use a round cookie cutter or a round glass to cut out the circular shapes for the mini pies.
- Place 6 pie rounds on the baking sheet and then leave the rest in the fridge for now. Take a tablespoon of the apple filling and place into the centre of each pastry round.
- Beat the egg with 2 teaspoons of water and brush around the filling along the sides of the circle.
- Using a knife, cut 3 slits into three of the pastry rounds. Then place the pastry round on top of the apple filled pastry and use a fork to press down the sides.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon sugar ingredients and sprinkle on top of each mini apple pie.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes then cool on the counter for 5. Place a scoop of ice cream in between two apple pies and serve immediately. Enjoy!