Pre-Order for Pick-Up at the Uptown Waterloo Scoop Shop.
Try This At Home: Hot Cocoa Sundae Cake
The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear- oh and eating hot chocolate sundae cake as well!
Time: 45 minutes
Created by Emma McCabe
Note: To make this recipe vegan, substitute the eggs for flax eggs (3 tbsps flaxseed mixed with 9 tbsps water). And substitute the buttermilk for 1 cup of plant-based milk mixed with 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Chocolate drizzle (to top)
- Jar of Four All’s hot cocoa ice cream
- Marshmallows (to top)
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch pan with coconut oil.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until there are no more pockets of flour.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool fully before scooping the ice cream on top. Then drizzle chocolate and top the cake with marshmallows. Slice the cake when ready to serve, make sure to add some extra ice cream and toppings!